The Steyn City Clubhouse’s landscaped roof was waterproofed with a synthetic liner from Master Builders Solutions by BASF.
The Steyn City Clubhouse’s unique landscaped roof was a first for Master Builders Solutions by BASF in green roof waterproofing from their range of synthetic membranes.
Involving 9 000m² of waterproofing, this enormous project required great skill from the applicator as well as specialised products from BASF Construction Chemicals. Specifically, BASF’s MasterSeal® TPO synthetic membranes were specified to waterproof and complete the clubhouse’s planted roof.
Two-colour synthetic liner
MasterSeal® 750TPE is a synthetic liner of TPO-modified polyolefin, in a two-colour version of sand, grey and black. It is obtained by co-extrusion, which allows it to be produced in a single layer, a liner with different physical-chemical properties on the two sides. It also has a polyester mesh reinforcement inserted as a dimensional stabiliser.
The upper-sand grey layer is characterised by an extremely high resistance to weathering and ultraviolet rays, whereas the lower black layer is resistant to puncturing. Thanks to these qualities, BASF offers a product warranty of ten years, with a life expectancy of over 25 years.
Some advantages of MasterSeal® TPO synthetic membranes include:
• Superior mechanical characteristics.
• Extremely high resistance to weathering and ultraviolet rays.
• High mechanical properties and resistance to puncturing.
• Resistance to root penetration.
• Resistance to wind stress.
• Non-toxic and good resistance to hydrocarbons.
• High environmental capability.
• Tolerance of pressure testing of joints if it is double-welded.
The Steyn City Clubhouse project was done over a year and BASF together with the waterproofing consultant for Steyn City, Alan Gatley, and Storm Waterproofing as the applicators, ensured the successful completion of this complex task.
Solutions for specific uses
According to BASF, Master Builders Solutions’ experts combine their global and local expertise to meet market needs, and they recommend reliable and approved professional applicators to ensure the successful completion of jobs. To meet high performance requirements, BASF products are designed and certified for the specific intended use.
Master Builders Solutions’ portfolio consists of concrete admixtures, chemical solutions for underground construction, waterproofing and sealants, concrete repair and protection, performance grouts and performance flooring.
Tel: 011 203 2422
MasterSeal® TPO synthetic membranes can also be applied to:
• Exposed roofing laid loose or fully bonded.
• Landscaped areas and roof gardens.
• Mechanical fixing on incompatible substrate.
• Loose laid or fully adhered on insulation boards.
• Loose laid or fully adhered on traditional reinforced-concrete slabs.
• Underground structures and potable water structures, to name a few.