Varnishes offer a durable protection for many wood products. Not only does it protect the wood against scratches or liquid stains, it plays an important role in preserving the wood.
Designed with protection in mind, the latest range of wood varnishes by Jax Oleum, features three varnish options that can be used with their single coat oil-based wood stains. These new water-based varnishes are available in matt, sheen finish and gloss. The Silk varnish results in a slight sheen, a shiny finish is achieved with the Gloss version and the 2K Matt with the added benefit of being a more durable varnish for high traffic/use areas with an overall matt finish.
The Jax Oleum range of varnishes is suitable for indoor applications, with only the 2K Matt suitable for use on wooden flooring. When used in high traffic areas such as floors or table tops in restaurants, it is advisable to use at least three coats of the 2K Matt. It can withstand light foot traffic three hours after the application of the final coat and will be fully dry in 24-hours.
7 steps for achieving perfectly varnished wood:
1. Vacuum the area before to remove dust and dirt. A slightly damp mop can be used to remove dust particles from the surface of the wood.
2. Avoid application in cold, wet or humid conditions as this will result in longer drying times. Remove any existing varnish with a suitable paint stripper. Sand the wood to remove any surface imperfections.
3. Let the first coat dry for 2-3 hours, then sand it with fine sandpaper, 200 grit, and wipe down with a damp cloth or vacuum to remove the dust before applying additional coats.
4. Generally, two to three coats are the norm, but additional coats can be applied for more durability and protection, with gentle sanding between each coat. Do not sand your final coat!
5. Always varnish with the grain of the wood to ensure a smooth finish.
6. Apply the varnish with a fine pile mock mohair roller, avoiding overlap lines, or soft cloth for smaller jobs.
For more information, contact Jax Oleum:
Tel: +27 (11) 444 7221
Be in the know! Don’t get left behind!
Subscribe to our free magazine on http://tiny.cc/floorsfreemag
Sign up for our newsletter: https://www.buildinganddecor.co.za/register/ or join other discussions like these on http://www.facebook.com/buildinganddecor, http://www.twitter.com/buildingdecor and https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/10172797/