Concluding the 2018 series of DAS Conferences hosted by sister magazines WALLS & ROOFS in Africa and FLOORS in Africa, the Pretoria CPD event was attended by architects, designers and other professionals in the built environment.
The speakers impressed with varied topics and their honesty about their work experiences, approaches and new ways of thinking.
Adrian Morris from Design Partnership Group kicked off the formal proceedings, explaining how the company is using gaming software and 3D printing in presenting project models to clients in a workshop-driven process in order to accelerate decision-making.
Exploring the importance of public art, sculptor and glassblower, Martyn Schickerling, very humbly spoke about his journey under mentor, Angus Taylor, and left the audience hungry for more about his own fascinating creations.
Next, Dirk Henzen from Studio 3 Design House took the audience on the journey of the historic Sin Bin building, which was deconstructed and reconstructed piece by piece, and today stands proud in the new Loftus precinct.
André Eksteen from Earthworld Architects made the audience think when he gave his views about exploring with materials, limiting waste, the fabrication process, and architects’ role in social change and in creating a demand for the making of things. “We as architects are the one consultant that can integrate everything and in that there is a huge opportunity for us to control the process a bit more. We can really start claiming back our role as master builders and create a demand for trade,” he said.
Putting ideas into practice, Mariapaola McGurk, founder of The Coloured Cube, showed how there are many skills out there that can change unemployment in the country and how the Makers Valley Collective is working towards achieving this.
Finally, Dalena Beyers from New Urban Architects explained how urban design affords many opportunities as an integrated solution for theory, practice and research.
Products in the spotlight
Platinum sponsors Belgotex, Rigifoam and Trellidor, as well as gold sponsors Flowcrete and FloorworX, presented the latest developments in their product ranges, while attendees had the opportunity to engage with them and many more product suppliers at the exhibitions in the foyer.
DAS Pretoria was brought to you by:
What did the attendees say?
– “Excellent standards.” – Peter Kuhn, Peter Kuhn Architects
– “Great conference, thanks!” – Pieter Swart, Pieter Swart Architects
– “The speakers were very good.” – Rebecca Louw, Mobius Design
– “Exposed to a variety of ideas and passions.” – Roger Ball, Roger Ball Architects
– “The whole course was interesting.” – Lida Herholdt, Incredible Spaces
– “Informative presentations . . . it was awesome.” – Johan Bosch, JL Design
– “Great talks by authentic designers.” – Keith Coetzer, Pattichedes & Partners
– “It was lovely, thank you!” – Christelle de Villiers, JL Design
– “The speakers were really interesting.” – Colette Pieterse, Boogertman & Partners Pta
The DAS Conferences will be back next year. For sponsorship opportunities or more information, phone 012 347 7530.