Main image: a.b.e. Construction Chemicals waterproofing systems for parking decks
a.b.e. Construction Chemicals waterproofing systems for parking decks – one of the most challenging processes in waterproofing – have proved highly successful in several high-profile installations in recent years.
a.b.e., with head office in Boksburg, is part of the Saint-Gobain Group.
Warren Trew, a.b.e.’s Regional Sales Manager, says apart from preventing water ingress, a parking deck waterproofing system must also protect against wear and tear by natural forces, vehicles and pedestrian traffic as well as movement of expansion joints. “Parking decks must be durable, resilient, elastic, skid-resistant, and aesthetically designed. a.b.e.’s proven range of waterproofing systems fulfill all these requirements,” Trew says.
“Parking decks are costly to build, repair and replace so water management is vital. Designing, installing and then testing waterproofing systems are the keys to diverting water from the structural elements. The quality of the membranes is critical and the waterproofing system should only be specified after consideration of the type of the finished wearing surface,” he adds.
“Whether choosing a blacktop or premix that can be hot or cold applied, or brick pavers and interlocking blocks, a double-layer waterproofing system is recommended. This usually comprises an application of a.b.e.’s Index 3mm membrane followed by an Index 4mm membrane, sealed by torch fusion.
When employing a double layer membrane system essential practice includes:
- Correct installation of concrete and screeds to falls;
- Correct detail regarding the dampproof course to upright structures (upstand);
- Priming of the surface both on the prepared screed and upstand;
- Attending to the gusset by bonding a.b.e. Testudo waterproofing membrane or a.b.e. Index Fidia 4mm membrane to the primed horizontal surface;
- Fully-bonded a.b.e. Unigum 4mm waterproofing membrane applied to the vertical faces, finished off with a.b.e.’s super laykold bitumen rubberised waterproofer, and super laycryl bitumen/acrylic emulsion over the top of the upstand; and
- Installing abedrain G geotextile membrane as drainage layer, followed by a layer of sand and pavers.
“For the waterproofing of the full-bore outlets before installation of the clamps and grating sections, correct torching of the Index Fidia 4mm into the primed throat of the unit should be done, followed by the application of Testudo membrane. The throat of the outlet should then be overcoated with a.b.e super laykold membrane and exposed plain surfaces coated with a.b.e. Silvakote reflective aluminium paint for UV protection.”
Another acclaimed a.b.e. parking deck waterproofing is a polyurea coating, the VIP Quickdeck system, most effectively used by approved a.b.e. applicator, Sanika, to waterproof over 2500m2 of parking decks at Eastgate Shopping Centre in Johannesburg.
Suitable for outdoor or internal parking areas and ramps, the system comprises the application of QuickPrime 2K SF epoxy resin primer followed by 3mm Quick Spray industrial coating incorporating a fine aggregate to create a non-slip texture, and sealed off with an aliphatic UV-resistant topcoat in specified colour.
Trew says Sanika was extremely impressed with VIP Quickdeck and lists among its advantages:
- High anti-skid, anti-slip properties;
- One application and rapid curing make one-day applications possible;
- Ready for foot traffic in 30 minutes and vehicles in six hours;
- No excess aggregate: saving clean-up and aggregate recovery time.
- Exceptionally strong adhesion to concrete;
- Superior crack-bridging abilities;
- High flexibility, tensile strength, abrasion resistance; and
- Environmentally-friendly with solvent- and VOC-free components.
Be in the know! Don’t get left behind!
Subscribe to our free magazine on http://tiny.cc/fwsubs
Sign up for our newsletter: https://www.buildinganddecor.co.za/register/ or join other discussions like these on http://www.facebook.com/buildinganddecor, http://www.twitter.com/buildingdecor and https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/10172797/