A recent massive 530m² residential flooring project in Polokwane offered many challenges over and above its sheer size.
Acclaimed interior designer, Frans Alexander had completed another home in the same estate, which had been featured on Top Billing. Frans met with the owner of the latest home being developed in the same estate, Broadlands Estate and Frans was contracted to lead the new home’s interior design.
Design inspired by nature
“I was delighted when the client indicated that he wanted to use wood for the first floor of the home, as currently natural materials and earthy tones formed a large part of the design inspiration. The choice of wood flooring was a perfect match,” comments Frans.
Flooring becomes a feature
“Because the flooring was such a major component of the overall design, we reached out to the experts,” explains Frans. His ongoing relationship with Power Flooring and Décor made them the obvious choice to source the uniquely tailored, 15mm thick Engineered Oak flooring.
“While we only did the oak installation of the home’s first floor, the design of the home was not easy and straightforward, as there were a number of curves, stairs and cupboards that had to be contended with,” comments Juanita Mc Carthy, owner of Power Flooring & Décor.
To ensure both the owner and Frans’s envisioned result were achieved, the installation involved a number of role players and products that included:
• Onsite installation: Umkhondo Flooring CC, with Nkosi Noqayi as owner. They only had two weeks to complete the installation
• Adhesive: Wakol MS 228 (Elastic 1-component MS parquet adhesive for laying multi-layer parquet on absorbent and non-absorbent subfloors)
• Adhesive: Wakol PU280 (Ready-to-use 1-component polyurethane primer for priming absorbent and non-absorbent subfloors, and to reinforce abraded resp. sanded concrete edges)
• Post installation, the floors were buffed with a Wakol machine to remove white marks made by rubber hammer during installation
• Floors were pre-finished in chosen white as per the client’s specifications
Success despite numerous challenges
Juanita comments, “The end result is testimony to the passion and dedication of all the role players involved in this project. They had to contend with a number of challenges, from stage 4 loadshedding, limited time access to site to completing the installation on what was effectively still an active building site where a number of contractors were present.”
Despite these and many other obstacles, the team rose to the challenge and the end result is a magnificent home which has delighted the customer and perfectly captured Frans’s design vision.
“So yes, loads of challenges, but the end result is gorgeous, yet elegant floors, fitted with love,” concludes Juanita.
For more projects like these, subscribe to our free magazine on http://tiny.cc/fwsubs
Sign up for our newsletter: https://www.buildinganddecor.co.za/ or join other discussions on http://www.facebook.com/buildinganddecor, http://www.twitter.com/buildingdecor and https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/10172797/