Inspirational ideas based on design trends as identified by creative influencer Dave Nemeth.
“Don’t design for designers, design for people.” – Dave Nemeth, creative influencer, trend forecaster and design thinker.
Here are some of the major trends that he has identified as directing design in 2017.
1. Debonair: A no clutter design, but with close attention to detail. Stripping away of unnecessary ornamentation.
2. Future gothic: Dark wallcoverings and dramatic colours, even on building exteriors.
3. Brutalism: Bold design with dark greys and black, showing appreciation for concrete.
4. Brown and black plus copper.
5. Easy living: Pure whites, or natural colours combined with natural and repurposed materials.
6. Earthchild: All about layering, shapes and textures.
7. EDENesque: Interpreting nature and bringing it indoors, either via greenery or biophilic shapes.
8. Plantscapes: Using plants as an integral part of the design.
9. Marble: Play with traditional marble to create from finishes to furniture.
10. New cubism: Grids and squares without ornamentation, as well as modular systems.
11. Mix: Creating patterns with different designs, colours and shapes mixed together.
12. Anodised cladding.
13. Rose Gold: On fixings finishes, lighting and even soft furnishing.
14. Iridescence: Used as finish onto metal or ceramics, but since it could become a fad, it is better used on smaller decorative pieces.
15. Spaced out: Interiors with space motifs.
Full thanks and acknowledgement are given to Trend Forward for the information given to compile this article.