Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) Western Precinct (AWPO) is a commercial office development situated adjacent to OR Tambo International Airport. It has just been completed and awarded with a four-star Green Star rating, scoring an impressive 50 points from the Green Building Council of South Africa.
Based at the corners of Atlas Road and the R21 in Kempton Park, Gauteng, the development comprises a large five-storey super basement parkade with three separate high-rise, six-storey, glass-clad office buildings above its podium.
The addition of high-performance glazing to the building’s facade enables excellent natural light and expansive views to the outdoors, while mitigating heat transfer to achieve efficient thermal comfort conditions. The buildings will be the new home of ACSA and the South African Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), and boasts an impressive list of green design features.
Sustainable building features include:
• Close proximity to a public transport route and preferential parking bays for fuel-efficient vehicles and motor bikes to drive behavioural changes to reduce carbon emissions associated with the use of single private car commuting to work.
• Lighting power density of less than 1,5W/m²/100 Lux for at least 95% of the usable area is achieved, resulting in minimal energy consumption.
• High levels of fresh air, and avoidance of indoor pollutants to ensure good air quality and a healthy environment.
• Low-flow taps, efficient showerheads, dual-flush toilets and smart irrigation reduce potable water consumption.
• Sub-metering for major water- and energy-consuming systems is provided. The meters are connected to a BMS system which will send alert signals for irregular trends in consumption and provides easier collection, monitoring and recording of consumption data.
• The building was constructed using concrete that has a high fly-ash content, which reduces the original Portland cement content in concrete. This reduces the embodied energy and resource depletion through the use of concrete.
Total gross floor area (GFA): 32 867m².
Total commercial office area: 25 914m².
Car park area: 1 823m².
Owner: Airports Company South Africa.
Accredited professional: WSP in Africa and Paper Think Lab.
Architect: Paragon Architects.
Electrical engineer: Claassen Auret.
Fire engineer: WSP in Africa.
Mechanical engineer: WSP in Africa.
Quantity surveyors: MMQSMace.
Structural engineers: WSP in Africa.
Sustainable design review: WSP in Africa.
Sustainable building consultant: WSP in Africa.
Wet services: WSP in Africa.
Main contractor: Tiber.
Project manager: Mace Group.
Facilities management company: Mace Group.
Occupational health and safety manager: HleHle Holdings.
For more information on the sustainability of building design, visit www.gbcsa.org.za.
Be in the know! Don’t get left behind!
Subscribe to our free magazine on http://tiny.cc/fwsubs
Sign up for our newsletter: https://www.buildinganddecor.co.za/ or join other discussions like these on http://www.facebook.com/buildinganddecor, http://www.twitter.com/buildingdecor and https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/10172797/