Concrete roof tiles are still a popular roofing covering and has a lot to offer. Considering that a roof is a long-term investment for a property, it is never just a roof that is being specified and purchased, says Willem Grové, marketing manager at BMI Coverland.
Metal roofs are currently very trendy, with the perception being that it is a cheaper option, as it is lightweight and therefore requires less timber for the roof.
Grové explains that concrete roof tiles are very cost-effective when taking the roof timber, trusses and installation costs into account for the entire roof installation.
Calculations show a cost difference of up to 30% in favour of a concrete tile roof. “The savings can be used for upgrades to the interior of the home, or to upgrade to a premium tile offering and still have savings to bank,” says Grové.
Benefits of concrete tiles
Concrete roof tiles have several advantages worth considering:
- Available in a range of profiles, finishes and colours
- Easy to install
- When a tile breaks, it is easy and cost-effective to ￼replace it
- Offers good sound insulation against rain noise and storms
- Durable and gets stronger with age
- Offers an easy maintenance solution
For a roof to function optimally and last for decades, there are several roofing components that can assist, covering various functional aspects of roof construction:
- Cooler homes in the summer are possible with a reflective underlay which, together with concrete roof tiles, assists with the thermal performance of the roof. Roof underlays have the added benefit of being a moisture and dust barrier.
- Leaking ridge and hip lines require maintenance every few years, but an innovative ￼dry-ridge system, manufactured in Germany, gives a concrete roof “vorsprung” above traditional mortar-ridge fixing. The ridge and hip tiles are mechanically fixed to a ridge runner, keeping them secure during windy and stormy weather.
- Ridge and hip rolls deliver a system that is resistant against driving rain, and it ventilates the roof space or removes the hot air between the underlay and the roof tiles, further reducing the temperature when shielding products are used. The system is quicker to install than traditional mortar bedding and reduces the need for long-term maintenance of the ridge and hipline. It can also be retrofitted to existing roofs, and the ridge and hipline can be colour-matched to the roof colour.
- Abutment flashing offers a solution to the traditional waterproofing paint and membrane systems between walls and roof tiles. These traditional systems require regular maintenance as per their application instructions, which is not required with some newer-generation products when installed with the connection strip￼. A peel-and-stick system makes it easy to install, and the bonus is that both products can be painted to match the roof and wall colour of the building.
“What is a roof? It is a shelter from the elements certainly, but it is also a dream come true for some, and it is a home,” says Grové. Delivering peace of mind is important through careful consideration of all options and products available.
Issue: Cost benefits of concrete roof tiles.
Solution: Concrete roof tiles offer many benefits to homeowners, including lower costs, ease of maintenance and sound insulation properties.
For more information, contact BMI Coverland:
Tel: +27 11 222 7300