The first Cape Town DAS Conference was held on 26 July 2017. The conference is aimed at designers, architects and specifiers, and the theme was “Cape Town: The Mother City of the future”. FLOORS in Africa was proud to be hosting the event alongside sister publication WALLS&ROOFS in Africa. A record number of professionals in the built environment attended the event and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive.
Three product presentations
O,7 Category 1 CPD credit
Feedback from the industry
– Relevant, stimulating, well presented, brilliant! – Revel Fox
– Inspirational, engaging, encouraging. – Del Fante Design Studio
– Enjoyed the variety. – SAOTA
– Inspiring speakers and projects, 90% rating. – Horizon Capital
– Great line-up of industry specifics and welcome pack. – Tower Bridge
– Relevant, creative content, 90% rating. – Anton de Kock Architects
– It was well organised, 99% rating. – Northlink
– Thank you for a great event. – A3D Architects
– Thank you for impressive, interesting content. – TV3 Architects and Town Planners
– Excellent speakers! Thank you for a great event. – GTS Architects
– How would you rate the event? 90%. – Ruben Reddy Architects
– Very well structured event. Quality speakers. – Vision Plan
– Talks were of a high standard. Speakers and presentations VERY good! – CS Architects
– Well organised. All speakers discussed interesting projects and topics, 90% rating. – Rykie Krumm
– Very well balanced and timed, excellent conference, 90% rating. – Axion Architects
– It wasn’t all about building products, but had diversity. Very good speakers and presentations. – Axion Architects
– Loved the range of topics and conference setup. – Matt Pretorius
– Enjoyed the speakers and quality of delivery. – City of Cape Town
– Good speaker line-up, relevant content. – Tsai Design Studio
– Great speakers. – JNC Consulting
– 100%!!!! – Procure
Some of the firms in attendance:
– Revel Fox
– Tower Bridge Projects
– 2AD Space Architects
– Tsai Design Studio
– Makeka Design Lab
– Design Space Africa Architects
– Roelof Rabe Architects
– Axion Architects
– A3D Architects
– TV3 Architects and Town Planners
– City of Cape Town
– Ruben Reddy
– CS Architects
– BAM Architects
– Peerutin Architects
– And many more . . .
Speakers and topics:
• Lloyd Rubidge, VDMMA: “The Silo District at the V&A Waterfront – a sustainable urban precinct.”
• Y Tsai, Tsai Design Studio: “Innovative and socially responsible design – including Zip Zap Circus.”
• Jacques van Embden, Blok: “Real-life examples and practicalities surrounding the design, materiality and delivery of housing to middle-income earners.”
• Jozanne Louw, Roelof Rabe Architects: “Educational facilities in Cape Town.”
• Luyanda Mpahlwa, Design Space Africa Architects: “Affordable housing solutions: Cape Town – Visionary City from an African perspective.”
• Brad Baard, Afrika Burn and Cape Town Carnival: “Experiments in creativity and community.”
• Mokena Makeka, Makeka Design Lab: “Matching our heritage with future generations.”
Lucky draw winners
– Sandisiwe Thomas won a R5 000 designer wallpaper voucher from Dreamweaver Studios.
– Cheryl Ankrah-Newton won a private tour of the Silo Hotel with architect Lloyd Rubidge from VDMMA, followed by sparkling wine on the rooftop or Willaston Bar and a wine-pairing dinner created by the executive chef and sommelier.
Belgotex Floors, Isoboard, Flowcrete, a.b.e. Construction Chemicals, Den Braven, Retailfit, BlueScope Steel Southern Africa and Tal.
See what you’ve missed! A selection of speaker presentations is available here: www.buildinganddecor.co.za/category/specifier-days/.
Join the next DAS Conference:
To be part of the next DAS Conference in Pretoria on 28 September 2017, with the topic “Staying relevant as a future architect”, book now at http://bit.ly/PtaDAS.
Any suppliers wanting to get involved in future events should please make contact via email at email@example.com or call Roxanne Mancini or Santie Koch on +27 (12) 347 7530 as sponsorship opportunities are very limited.